The Musician Union of Ghana (MUSIGA) has blamed the rift between Shatta Wale and Stonebwoy on the media.
MUSIGA said the media’s love for controversies between the two erupted into the disturbances that rocked the 2019 Vodafone Ghana Music Awards (VGMA) in the early hours of Sunday, May 19, 2019.
The Accra Regional Police Command on Sunday afternoon detained the two in connection with the disturbances at the Accra International Conference Centre for investigations.
Shatta Wale, born Charles Nii Armah Mensah, and Stonebwoy, born Livingstone Etse Satekla, were embroiled in a scuffle, causing the latter to pull out a gun on stage in what many have said was in self-defense.
Stonebwoy, who had just been declared the winner of the 2019 Reggae and Dancehall Artiste of the Year, was on stage to receive his award when Shatta Wale and his followers decided to mount the stage to “congratulate” his rival.
The gesture was rather misconstrued as it resulted in the scuffle on stage.
The President of MUSIGA, Bice Osei Kufuor, known as Obour, in an interview with Onua FM’s Yen Sempa on Monday explained that “the rift between Shatta [Wale] and Stonebwoy did not start this act today and such acts promote their names”.
READ MORE GHANA NEWS ON OUR HOME PAGE
“Their music is played on radio and TV. They talk about it in the media and that is why they are always indulged in controversies,” Obour explained.
He said “Shatta says he will not pay payola again. Shatta has not renewed his membership with MUSIGA for the past two years and the media should also be blamed. The love for controversies in the media has also contributed”.
The MUSIGA President rendered unqualified apologies to the people of Ghana, the President of Ghana, the international community, the organizers of the event and everyone who has been affected by the actions of the two musicians.
“I apologize to all Ghanaians on behalf of MUSIGA. We have disgraced Ghana and we apologize to all the international media, Ministers, President Akufo Addo. This is not the character of Ghanaians. These two musicians and their supporters are recalcitrant”.
READ MORE RELATED ARTICLE
- Shatta Wale And Stonebwoy Unite After VGMA Brawl
- You No Go GET Your Monies Back – George Quaye Tells Fans Of Banned Artists.
- Shatta, Stonebwoy Brawl Erodes Pioneers’ Sacrifices — Zapp Mallet
Obour said “there were throwing of pepper spray and tear gases. It was sad. It was a disgrace for the entire music industry in Ghana because over forty-two African countries were watching the event live”.
“International Federation of Music called me around 1 am to find out if I was safe. It was terrible. Music should not be shooting. Music should bring unity. That is what music does. It is un-Ghanaian. It is uncultured and we still want the police to do their job. They should be arrested and prosecuted”.
Advice to event organizers
Bice Osei Kufour advised event organizers to be guided by what transpired and provide adequate security for their various events to avert any further clashes.
“Going forward, event organizers should take a cue from what transpired. You [Shatta] don’t have any right to go on stage at that moment to congratulate him. Shatta had no business is going to congratulate him”.
Obour explained that “even if it was his intention to congratulate him, he had no business at that moment”.
MUSIGA to sanction the duo
The MUSIGA President revealed that the Union will sanction the two musicians to serve as a deterrent to others.
“We will have some sanctions for these two. Definitely, there would be sanctions. The board will meet and decide on the sanctions. We need to do this to serve as a deterrent to others”.
- Excited Blogger. Emmanuel Dela AHADJIE is daringly a passionate blogger who seeks to inform his followers and readers with accurate updating news on the go. He is a lifestyle, celebrity and sociology blogger who grabs the bull by its horn. He doubles up as The Managing Editor of The Momus Newspaper.WhatsApp:+233245838678
- VIDEOS2019.07.13Watch Testimonies Video: Celebrities Who Patronized And Endorsed Mama Gee’s ‘Husband Snatching’ Products
- LOCAL NEWS2019.07.12HEALTH ALERT: Polio Resurfaces In Tamale
- TOP STORIES2019.07.12NAM1 Remanded In Police Custody To Reappear On July 26
- TOP STORIES2019.07.12NAM1 Defrauded 16,000 People Of GH¢1.68bn Within 1 Year – State Prosecutors