Black Stars striker Asamoah Gyan has been named in the 29-man provisional squad released by coach Kwesi Appiah on Wednesday, a few hours after he rescinded a decision to retire permanently from the team.
Appiah’s squad is expected to be whittled down to 23 for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations to be staged in Egypt next month.
There was controversy on Monday, May 20 after hitherto captain of the Black Stars Gyan announced his retirement from the team, following his claim that the captaincy would be handed to another player for the tournament.
He expressed concerns that such scenario had not happened in the team before, pointing to the era of Stephen Appiah and Richard Kingson.
For latest news in Ghana, visit Confirm Radio
news headlines page Ghana News Page
President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo later talked to Gyan, who is the country’s all-time leading scorer, urging him to rescind his decision and he did so on Wednesday.
A few hours later his name has appeared as one of the five strikers to embark on a training tour in Dubai, starting Saturday, June 1.
Find the provisional squad below:
Goalkeepers: Richard Ofori (Maritzburg United, South Africa), Lawrence Ati- Zigi (Sochaux, Montbeliard, France), and Felix Annan (Asante Kotoko, Ghana)
Defenders: John Boye (Metz, France), Andy Yiadom (Reading, England), Abdul Baba Rahman (Reims, France), Lumor Agbenyenu (Goztepe A.S, Turkey), Kassim Nuhu, (Hoffeinham, Germany,) Jonathan Mensah (Columbus Crew SC, USA), Joseph Aidoo (Genk, Belguim), Nuhu Musa (St Gallen, Switzerland), Joseph Attamah (Basaksehir, Turkey), and Mohammed Alhassan (Hearts of Oak, Ghana)
Midfielders: Mubarak Wakaso (Deportivo Alaves, Spain), Thomas Partey (Atletico Madrid, Spain), Kwadwo Asamoah (Internazionle, Italy), Ebenezer Ofori (New York FC, USA), Afriyie Acquah (Empoli, Italy), Andre Ayew (Fenerbache, Turkey), Christian Atsu (Newcastle United, England), Samuel Owusu (Cukaricki, Serbia), Thomas Agyepong (Hibernian, Scotland), Yaw Yeboah (Numancia, Spain), Abdul Fatawu (Asante Kotoko, Ghana)
Strikers: Asamoah Gyan (Kayserispor, Turkey), Jordan Ayew (Crystal Palace, England), Adbul Majeed Waris ( Nantes, France), Caleb Ekuban (Trabzonspor, Turkey) and Kwabena Owusu (Leganes, Spain)
Ghana will play in Group F together with defending champions Cameroon, Benin and Guinea-Bissau.
The tournament begins on Friday, June 21 and end on Friday, July 19.
By Dela AHADJIE
- Excited Blogger. Emmanuel Dela AHADJIE is daringly a passionate blogger who seeks to inform his followers and readers with accurate updating news on the go. He is a lifestyle, celebrity and sociology blogger who grabs the bull by its horn. He doubles up as The Managing Editor of The Momus Newspaper.WhatsApp:+233245838678
- VIDEOS2019.07.13Watch Testimonies Video: Celebrities Who Patronized And Endorsed Mama Gee’s ‘Husband Snatching’ Products
- LOCAL NEWS2019.07.12HEALTH ALERT: Polio Resurfaces In Tamale
- TOP STORIES2019.07.12NAM1 Remanded In Police Custody To Reappear On July 26
- TOP STORIES2019.07.12NAM1 Defrauded 16,000 People Of GH¢1.68bn Within 1 Year – State Prosecutors